OK I just did something I thought I would never do..LOL I took a photo of my dinner to post. LOL OK so I have nothing quilty that I can share and I am re learning to cook do to husbands dietary restriction's. He is on a high fiber No grain or starch foods for now. Yep I need to remember how to cook again without using certain processed foods.

Tonight I took boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded them till they were all about the same thickness. Well first I took some fresh spinach and sauteed it with garlic and a pinch of salt and grated some cheese. I took the spinach and cheese placed it on the flattened chicken rolled it up secured it with tooth picks and baked it in the oven. I fixed my version of sweet and sour red cabbage, we also had a nice green salad made with leaf lettuce. Not to bad.

I think that the next time I fix this chicken I will use a cream cheese or goat cheese, mix the spinach with the cheese before I put it on the chicken and roll. I had problems keeping the ends closed so most of the cheese ran out while cooking. I wonder if you rolled this up really tight with foil or some sort of plastic wrap and poach it if it would work better? Does not really matter husband is not fond of poached anything.

Learning to cook without white potatoes, flour, pasta, rice, ( later on some brown rice can be used) cereal and most grains, bread, nuts, or seeds for now Oh Yeah I almost forgot no processed meats like lunch meat, hot dogs. Well you get the idea. Some of these foods may be added back into his diet later on but some may not.

Back to the basics in cooking.

2 comments:

Jean said...

The chicken looks yummy even if the cheese did all run out.

Lori in South Dakota said...

restricted diets are hard to learn, but no pain and feeling better helps. I am diabetic and my husband has had a heart attack, so it's lots of fruit and veggies and very little fried stuff! You learn, and it gets better. Hang in there! I sometimes get to "your" area--I have relatives in Norwood, Hartville, Mt. Grove!