Do you like oatmeal?
I am not a Hugh fan but I do enjoy steel cut oats.
Steel cut oats is just raw oat grains that have been cut smaller...just little grains before processing.  They take a long time to cook but they become a creamy consistency when done.
Because they take such a long time to cook the crock pot is a wonderful tool.
For most whole grains you should use a ratio of 1 to 1 and 1/2 cup of grains and 4 cups of water, broth.
( I have not tried milk but I think it would be fine. Half water half milk.)
 Set the slow cooker on low or warm depending on your machine, and cook 6 to 8 hours.
I put mine on before I go to bed and when I get up I have a nice Yummy breakfast waiting.
Yes I know it is oatmeal which I am not a big fan of but this is good.
It is creamy ..a totally different consistency  from the old fashion oats you buy at the grocery store.

This is how I my oats come...They look kind of like tiny grains of brown rice.
I buy my steel cut oats at a Amish place but you can get them on line.
 Some of the larger grocery stores probably carry them.

A good recipe to start with then adjust to your tastes.

 
Slow Cooked Steel Cut Oats

1 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped apple
1/2 cup cranberries
 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds

Grease the inside of a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker. Throw all ingredients inside slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 or 9 hours. Stir before serving. Great served with milk.

This makes a lot but is good warmed over or simply half the batch to make less.

I have even eaten this cold from the fridge.  It tastes like mom's apple cake :)  Yummy!!

No comments: