About floating the top ?
 
I almost never float a top because
 I like the tension of the top being attached both top and bottom.
 
When I do float a top I pin the backing as I would normally
I lay the batting on the backing and stitch a
 straight line using my channel locks.
I use that line to lay the edge of the top along
to make sure the top is nice and straight.
Then I baste that top edge down to all layers.
I would normally pin the bottom of the top
to the leader and roll it up and quilt away.
BUT... in a float.
The bottom is not pinned to the leader
it just lays over the belly bar and floats towards the floor. 
 
 
 
 
I have these magnet  bars.
I normally use them
when I need to toss the finished
 quilt back on to correct something.
OK so it is not really finished or
 I would not be putting it back on the machine
but sometimes you just miss quilting a spot or
 you change your mind and want to add something. 
Any way I use these bars for that and for tossing on a practice piece
to test thread or tension or just to doodle.
They work great.. they are strong magnets and hold well. 
So I decided to use them to float these baby panels.
 
Here the backing is all stitched
 together and loaded as one long piece.
The panels are floated.
 



A side view with the bars holding the panel to the belly bar
 


A close up view

 
And a view from the back of the machine
Notice how nice and smooth it is laying.
The tension on the panel is really very nice.
I quilted the first panel with no problems
Honestly I am not sure floating the top
 saves me time. I won't use this method often
but it was nice to not have to pin each of these panels.
 
These magnet bars really do hold nicely
no shifting or pulling at all. 

1 comment:

Jean said...

Now it makes sense.